Are you confident in the Word of God? Are you certain that God speaks to you in and through the pages of the Bible? Daniel R. Hyde exhorts readers to grow in their certainty that the Bible is the Word of God, to know with their hearts as well as their heads that God has spoken, and continues to speak, through his Scriptures. When troubles come, it is crucial that your confidence in what God has said is strong.
Hyde hopes that by having a good grounding in what the Bible says about itself, Christians will be well equipped to stand firm.
- Finding God’s Word in Our Time (2 Timothy 4:1–5)
- Certainty: “The Prophetic Word More Fully Confirmed” (2 Peter 1:16–21)
- Revelation: “He Has Spoken to Us” (Hebrews 1:1–2a)
- Inspiration: “Breathed Out by God” (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Authority: “Let Them Hear Them” (Luke 16:22–31)
- Canonicity: “The Law, the Prophets, and the Psalms” (Luke 24:44–45)
- Sufficiency: “Complete, Equipped for Every Good Work” (2 Timothy 3:14–17)
- Perspicuity: “Open My Eyes That I May Behold” (Psalm 119:18)
- Reading the Word: “He Shall Read It” (Deuteronomy 18:18–20)
- Experiencing the Word: “Reviving the Soul” (Psalm 19:7–11)
Appendix 1: John Chrysostom on Daily Bible Reading
Appendix 2: J.C. Ryle’s “Short Hints” on Bible Reading
Appendix 3: Prayer of John Chrysostom Before Reading or Listening to the Word of God
About Daniel R. Hyde
Daniel R. Hyde (PhD, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam) is the pastor of Oceanside United Reformed Church in Carlsbad/Oceanside, California.